by Alex Bensley

In a game that the Northeastern Huskies (6-3-1, 3-1-1) were down two goals in the third period, it was grit and determination that proved to be the difference in a 5-4 overtime victory in a Hockey East matchup against UMass Lowell.

The Riverhawks (4-5-1, 1-3-1) began the scoring early in the first period on a goal by junior Kenny Hausinger. The Huskies tied the score a few minutes later as Junior Jeremy Davies received a beautiful pass from freshman Tyler Madden that he flicked into the back of the net.

As the first period came to a close, some pushing and shoving became imminent, and when the second period got under way, the physical play escalated. Hits and penalties were exchanged.

UMass Lowell took advantage of those Northeastern penalties to score two goals in just over four minutes of time to head to the third period up 3-1.

But when the third period started, it became clear that in order for a Hockey East foe to win in Matthews Arena, they would have to out-hustle the feisty Huskies.

“I just loved the way we competed and battle in that third period,” Northeastern head coach Jim Madigan said after the game.

Junior Grant Jozefek scored early in the third to cut the lead to 3-2. But UMass Lowell answered right back as junior Ryan Lohin scored to make it a 4-2 game.

With their backs against the wall, the Huskies continued to fight. They generated scoring chances—as did the Riverhawks, who outshot the Huskies 37-31. Just over one minute later, the Huskies scored again to make it 4-3.

From then on, play was back and forth. It became clear no team wanted to make this one easy on the other. The physical play led to more penalties—the Riverhawks had five for 10 total minutes, while the Huskies’ 9 penalties translated to 18 minutes of penalty time.

And then, with less than five minutes to go in the game, freshman Tyler Madden knotted the score on an assist from Ryan Shea.

60 minutes proved to not be enough for these squads. In overtime, Northeastern moved the puck well and senior Patrick Schule ended it after a pass from junior Matt Filipe found his stick as he put the puck past UMass Lowell senior netminder Christoffer Hernberg.

Northeastern sophomore goalie Cayden Primeau stopped 33 shots and Hernberg set aside 26.

In terms of moving forward, Madigan can see the confidence developing in his players. But he knows there’s work to do.

“You still have to keep things in perspective,” Madigan said. “The good thing I said to our team is, we’re still not there, we’re still a work in progress, there’s a lot of things we still have to work on.”

The Huskies travel to Vermont next Friday to take on the Catamounts.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.