File photo by Christian Gomez

Northeastern’s rain-soaked matchup with Quinnipiac Tuesday night was a slugfest. Both squads threw their bodies around and used every last breath of energy in the match, before ending in a 2-2 stalemate.

The game was highlighted by the constant sway of momentum, with neither side willing to give in to the others’ sustained pressure.

To open the match it was the Huskies who incessantly badgered their opponents, with sophomore forward Griffin Polinsky and freshman forward Fraser Brown hunting down any Bobcat with a ball. 

However, the press was for show as Quinnipiac stuck their nails into the Northeastern midfield after the first five minutes. Despite both teams making valiant attempts to strike up a counter, neither managed a shot on goal over the first 18 minutes — and just three shots were attempted total.

But the tide turned in the 19th minute, when a Husky miscommunication following a quick substitution gave Quinnipiac their first good chance of the night. Senior forward David Bercedo capitalized, pinging one in off of the left post to give the Bobcats the early lead.

Northeastern started to form a sustained attack, following the goal, forcing the Bobcats to go to ground fouls.

In three minutes Quinnipiac committed three fouls, including one in the 24th minute that gave junior defender Zach Sauer a great look from the free-kick. Sauer’s ball into the box was met by sophomore forward Tobias Wangerud sent the ball into the back of the net and tied the game at one. 

After the equalizing goal, both squads continued their back and forth action, flicking shots towards the net and flying in with hard challenges.

Following the break, the Bobcats broke out a lethal counter-attack, using the Huskies’ pace against them. One counter in particular stung Northeastern when substitute senior forward Jason Budhai burned up the right sideline and took a shot on goal.

In an attempt to block the shot, junior defender Sebastian Soriano dove in front of Budhai, but instead of knocking the ball away it deflected off the outstretched leg of Soriano and beyond the reaching Hegarty.

Budhai’s 54th-minute goal did not mortally wound Northeastern, but added fuel to their fire. Over the next 30 minutes the Huskies outshot the Bobcats 3-0 and brought some pain with them, committing six fouls including a yellow by Wangerud.

In the 82nd minute following a period of sustained attacks by Northeastern, graduate forward Ryan Massoud decided he would try his fate on goal. From beyond the box Massoud ripped one in, curling the ball away from the diving freshman keeper Karl Netzell and equalizing the game at two. 

The rest of the match the Huskies tried to keep the pressure on but the Bobcats held them off, ending the game at 2-2 and giving the Huskies a record of 1-1-2 on the season.

Northeastern head coach Rich Weinrebe spoke after the game about his team’s upcoming match on Saturday against CAA opponent Drexel, and the level of play needed to win conference games.

“I think conference games kind of dial up a different level of intensity and focus,” Weinrebe said. “We are working towards having a complete 90 minute performance, we were lacking in that a little bit today.”

Northeastern will be back in action Saturday at home against Drexel. WRBB’s next men’s soccer broadcast will be Tuesday, as Northeastern hosts crosstown rival Harvard at 6 p.m.